The end of summer is fast approaching. [insert sad face here]
…but before the sun gives way to the cold and snow, let’s get together for some rest, relaxation and reasoning with family and friends!
On Sunday, September 4th at Petticoat Creek Park in Pickering, the Black Daddies Club (BDC) will be hosting our annual Family and Friends Picnic. This event will be a part of the Breaking Bread series that will culminate in our 10thanniversary co-created initiative entitled the Black Love Matters 2017 Un-Conference. Spread throughout 2017, the Un-Conference will be held at venues across the Greater Toronto Area.
The Picnic is a potluck event, but food will also be on sale.
- Activities for children (pool, splash pad, tug-o’-war, bike trails, soccer, etc.)
- Activities for parents and guardians (discussion, opportunities for networking, etc.)
- Activities for non-parents (liming and relaxing, music, hiking, pool, bird watching, getting out of the city, networking, etc.)
The theme for this year’s Picnic is “How do we support Black children and their parents in the Greater Toronto Area?” The Black Daddies Club will be partnering with agencies and businesses that provide support to Black parents and their children. Together, we will identify effective strategies that Black parents can employ in order to support their children.
The reality is that many Black parents living in the Greater Toronto Area face various challenges during the school year and sometimes do not know about the resources that are available to them. As parents of Black, school-aged children, each new school year brings with it questions that require answers. For example:
- How do we engage effectively with our children, their teachers and the school system?
- What are the safe and positive spaces that our children can access after school?
- Where are these safe and positive spaces located?
- What should we know about how to deal with the Children’s Aid Society?
All of this and more will be on the table…in between dominoes, jerk chicken and spades, of course!
What: The Family and Friends Picnic
When: Sunday, September 4th, 2016, from 1pm to 7pm
Where: Petticoat Creek Conversation Area, 1100 Whites Rd Pickering, ON L1V 6K7
Why: Sometimes, we need a break from the hustle and bustle of city life. So come on out – enjoy the fun, get some knowledge and eat some good food!
Admission: General Admission (HST included)
Adult (15+) $6.50
Senior (60+) $5.50
Children (Infant-14), with their family FREE
Children (2-14) $3.50
Adult (for every 10 children, 1 accompanying adult receives a free admission) $6.50
Per Person (age 2+) per day $4.75
TRCA Parks Membership (per person/day) $2.75
Under 2 Years FREE
Pool and Splash Pad
Picnic Sites Available
Pets Permitted on Leash
See you there!